By Abigail Broderdorf
Is it a garbanzo bean or chickpea? No matter what you call it, there is no disputing what you can call its nutritional benefits: healthy!
Chickpeas are naturally low in fat and high in dietary fiber, helping you control your appetite and stay feeling full for longer periods of time. When paired with a whole-grain, such as brown rice, they provide the amount of protein comparable to that of meat without the high calories or fat.
Chickpeas have a nutlike taste and a slightly starchy texture. Paired with tart feta cheese and sweet cherry tomatoes, this salad comes together quickly and is sure to leave you satisfied.
· 1/4 cup canned chickpeas
· 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
· 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· 2 teaspoons olive oil
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· Ground pepper, to taste
1. Rinse and drain chickpeas.
2. In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, tomatoes and feta cheese.
3. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
4. Pour dressing over chickpea mixture and stir.
Source: Martha Stewart